Sunday 14 September 2014

The kitchen refresh...



As you will recall from my last post, I decided that a mini-makeover was in order for my kitchen. The longer term plan is to extend the kitchen and have french doors leading on to the garden. But, I decided that I couldn't live with the pink walls and bright mosaics for the several years it will be until I undertake the extension.

Here is a reminder of where I started:

The plan of work included:

  • paint the walls a shade of greige
  • remove the tile and replace with white subway tile
  • paint all of the pine woodwork white
  • paint the cream cupboards white
  • replace the black sink (and probably the tap as well)
  • make a new roman blind for the window
It took several weeks, but is almost complete - I need to wait for the builder to replace the sink and tap for me (that is a diy step too far for this novice), but all else is done.

Work in progress...
Glass mosaic tiles  and wall shelves removed

Undercoat on walls, woodwork painted, cupboard painting and tiling in progress

And the finished product...
 The walls are a very pale grey - I probably could have gone a shade darker given the light in this room, but am still very happy with it. It is Shadows (223) from Little Greene in intelligent eggshell.


 I made the lined roman shade using this tutorial 

 My originally cream clock also had a mini-makeover with Annie Sloan Paris Grey paint.
The print is an RHS botanical archive print.

A close up of my first (and quite possibly last) attempt at tiling.


All in all, it is so much more pleasant spending time in this room now. 

Work has also been progressing elsewhere inside and outside of the house - updates coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment