Monday 25 November 2013

Sew Over It and the 1940's wrap dress...

I have spent the most enjoyable last two Sundays at Sew Over It in North Clapham. Sew Over It is described as a sewing cafe and they provide a range of classes ranging from introductory level through to quite advanced dressmaking techniques. They offer classes on both weekends and evenings. I had booked to attend a class on making a 1940's wrap dress back in the summer, but due to the popularity, I had to wait until the next round of classes in November for a slot.

So on a cold and grey Sunday last week I ventured to North Clapham. The shop/cafe is only a short walk from the tube station...and what a lovely space in which to spend a day...

Surrounded by fabrics, plied with tea and the most gorgeous cake, myself and three other students embarked on our wrap dress project. The quality of the teaching was superb (the lovely Julie has spent her career originally working as a costumier and then in bridal design), and she was so patient in answering all of my questions on the slightly tricky/finishing/fitting techniques that have hampered my sewing in the past.

Given that we are now in winter, I chose a lovely teal wool crepe from Stone Fabrics. I was continuing my attempt to add some colour to my wardrobe and I'm so pleased I did. The colour is lovely and it was so beautiful to sew with.

And on to the finished product...

I'm already looking forward to wearing it...and considering what other fabrics/variations I may use on the pattern in future...as well as considering what other classes in which to enrol (the Coco jacket is a definite!)

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, that is really gorgeous. A friend of mine began sewing about two years ago as an experiment and now almost exclusively makes her own clothes. It is so inspiring! I love vintage styles and the 20s and 60s are my favourite eras. Perhaps I should try this experiment myself?

    ReplyDelete