Tuesday 5 November 2013

Cambridge - Harvard and Radcliffe

Last Saturday morning as hundreds of thousands of people were making their way to downtown Boston for the Red Sox victory parade, I headed a few stops on the train across the Charles River to Cambridge. Cambridge is home to Harvard and MIT. It is also the site of Radcliffe, which has now been subsumed into Harvard.

I arrived at about 9am....far too early for there to be many students milling about. After the windy and wet weather of the previous day, it was lovely to be able to explore in some dappled sunshine.

Firstly, Harvard Yard....

I remain a little fixated on the lovely autumnal colours....

And Radcliffe Yard...

Like the town's namesake, Cambridge did have much the same feel as the English university towns of Cambridge and Oxford. And it was certainly a restful place to escape the madness that was gripping Boston at the time.

 

I'm again sitting at the airport - this time awaiting my flight from Boston home to London. At times it feels as if I have been away for much longer than a month. It has been such an informative trip work-wise, but I am looking forward to getting back to a sense of normalcy and routine...for a few weeks at least, as I am traveling to Istanbul for 4 days to meet up with my friend L at the end of November.

I know that a mound of packing boxes await my return home - I was attempting to be organised in case the flat sale had gone through and I was moving imminently on my return. Now I just need to decide how easily I can live with stepping around boxes, and save unpacking those already packed for the next few months...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment