Sunday 24 March 2013

Trialling designs...


I am toying with the idea of starting an etsy shop and listing the type of baby/children's items that I typically make as gifts for friends. It is still very much in the thinking stage as I do have a busy full-time job, and I'd very much hate to lose the pleasure and relaxation I get from sewing if I transformed the use of those skills to more of a business footing. That said, I've been thinking of this idea for a while and it has yet to go away, so there is perhaps some longevity to it.

As part of my planning I am trialling a few designs to see what is reasonably quick to make, but still brings with it the timelessness of hand-made items. This week I decided to trial a little smocked top and trousers. The smocking took no time at all - the actual making up of the top took much longer than the embroidery - something I imagine will become quicker with time and pattern familiarity. I adapted this bishop neck pattern from one I've made before which has quite full sleeves, and adapted it with a little fluted cap sleeve. I think it has left the arm opening too large, and so that is something that I will need to work on if I make it again.


I chose the embroidery colours from the liberty lawn I used to make the small trousers - this is a piece I've had in my stash for years.

I do have some more sewing planned for this afternoon, making a little summer skirt for my friend's little girl who is turning 2 in May (just after I return from the US so I want to have this completed before I leave). I found a fabulous fabric shop in Kingston last weekend and found some really sweet prints to use - it will also be an opportunity to trial another new pattern...and it gives me something productive to do this afternoon in the warmth of my flat, as I have decided it is too cold to leave the house unless absolutely necessary!

No comments:

Post a Comment