Sunday 3 March 2013

The difference a few days can make...

In my last post I moaned...about the cold weather ... but what a difference a few days can make in one's attitude...

Literally the day after I posted London was treated to the most glorious afternoon of sunshine - it was still cold, but I re-affirmed that I actually don't mind it so much if the sun is shining brilliantly. It was the same day that the Queen came to open the new hospital on one of the sites where I work...and whilst I didn't get to see her in person, I did see the beautiful Bentley in which see arrived, and got to meet one of the even more lovely Metropolitan Police sniffer dogs (a lovely black spaniel who seemed to be having such a good time doing his job) as I was catching a lift to a meeting...


I spent Thursday and Friday last week at a conference in a venue opposite Westminster Abbey. As I walked out on Thursday afternoon this was my view...and it reminded me as to how blind one can become to the experience of living in a city such as London. When I first arrived in London 15 years ago, I didn't like it all...it felt big and dirty, and I couldn't even contemplate the thought of living here. I ended up working in Scotland, and came to appreciate London (from a tourist's perspective) over time through weekend visits to see friends.

However, even when I arrived back here seven years ago, I didn't think I'd still be living in London all of these years later. It is still big, it is cumbersome to get around at times, it's size can make it feel very anonymous, and much of it's population can feel transient (especially in the ex-pat communities) which can make it difficult to feel settled. But, I seem to have adjusted to those elements - to the extent that I can easily forget to appreciate what is surrounding me as I get on with day to day life.

Where else could I sit in a conference masterclass with this as the view from the window...

...so, some blue sky, an increase of temperature to 7 degrees and my favourite building on London has made me an altogether happier person this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment