Thursday 15 November 2012

Privileged...


Last night I was privileged to be able to see Andrea Bocelli perform at the O2 in London - and it truly was a privilege. I have thought this man to be one of the world's most pre-eminent artists for at least the last ten years. During that time I have often attempted to get to one of his performances, but have either found them sold out, or with ticket prices completely beyond my budget (I can distinctly remember that during one of his world tours that included Australia, the Sydney Opera House was charging in excess of $800 for a single ticket)...

In the quiet few days between Christmas and New Year last year tickets for last night's performance went on sale - and I made the spur of the moment decision that this was going to be my best ever opportunity of witnessing Bocelli perform live...

With such a long lead-time to a concert, I would routinely forget about it - only to be pleasantly surprised when I would flick forward in my diary and see the date pencilled in.

Last night I determined that the wait had been worth it (whether I considered that to be of 11 months or 10 years plus duration) - he is an amazing performer, with a voice that seems to handle both an opera and contemporary repertoire with ease and elegance. I am so delighted that I was finally able to see him perform live...and judging from the audience response, I think the rest of the people at the O2 last night concurred...

No comments:

Post a Comment