Tuesday 30 October 2012

An extended New York sojurn...

Hurricane Sandy: death toll rises as storm hits land. Deaths reported in New York as the historic storm hits land in southern New Jersey
Image via

New York has been interesting to say the least. I've had a lovely time experiencing shopping, the New York Philharmonic, great restaurants...and a hurricane...

Despite the fact that I should now be back in London, I am still her in NY as a result of Hurricane Sandy. I heard on Sunday afternoon that my Monday flight was cancelled (although I had already been anticipating that event) - and my first available flight out is not until Thursday.

So, after checking out of the hotel yesterday, I decamped to friends here in the city who live in Chelsea who kindly offered to put me up for a few days - and all was well until about 8pm last night when all of lower Manhatten lost power (and phones, and internet connections, and hot water....).

As of lunch time today we are still without power, though thankfully no other storm damage that has impacted on the city. We have temporarily ventured back uptown to the hotel in which I was staying in order to be able to re-charge electornic devices, check emails, and check the news status (and the odd blog here and there)...

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear Annie. Hope you get back to London soon. So terrible to see poor old NYC so damaged. K xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie..I'm so glad you've made it through the storm and sad that others haven't and are badly affected. We are just getting pictures through here in Australia now of the damage the storm has done and cleaning up will be a big task for everyone over there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Glad you are safe. Hope your trip to London goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad to hear you are safe. Take care on the rest of the journey,

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete